Yep, that’s right. Rebranding a blog is no easy task! It’s a scary idea thinking about all the changes you are going to have to make, right from designing to editing all your social media accounts, however it is something I have been planning for some time now. Read on to find out why. Thankfully, there are many-many bloggers out there who have taken this plunge already and kindly shared their tips and experiences, which makes my job of rebranding a tiny bit easier. If you too are planning to rebrand, read on.
Why to rebrand?
Most bloggers out there start their blog as a hobby, with a random name, only to later discover that
- The blog isn’t representing them anymore.
- The blog isn’t catering their niche or targeted audience.
- The blog is a success and they want to get serious about it.
I, on the other hand, ran into a few legal issues. So, for me, even though I still love the name ‘Mumzy World’, it has got to go. The name ‘Mumzy World’ was not copied from anywhere and any resemblance was purely unintentional. However, as I see it, it is better now than later. It’s just been around two months since I started my blog. With my modest following and influence on social media platforms, it should be some-what-easy to make the amendments and encounter fewer errors on the way. Infact, I am quite excited at the opportunity to have a second go at branding and designing my blog.
- Ensure the new name that has been picked out is available for the domain name and also for social media accounts. I used this site to check whether my new chosen name was available.
- Change the blog domain name. On Word Press this can be done under ‘Domain’.
- Make the necessary changes to the blog theme and brand logo.
- Update any links on the blog posts. Go through each and every blog posts and pages and ensure the links direct the user correctly.
- Update Social media handles. Editing on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest is supposed to be very easy. However, I have heard Facebook Page edits can be time consuming. Let’s see.
- Create a new Email address that is relevant to the new blog name. Ensure your contacts are aware of your new email address and set up auto-direct messages from your old email address to your new one.
Ready, Set, Go.
So, I had hubby-bi design my new brand name/logo (thank you!) and I think I have everything ready to go ahead with the rebranding. I will be making the changes myself S-L-O-W-L-Y over the period of next week because, well … #momlife.
Oh, I almost forgot… Mumzy World is now changing to ‘Mumzy Notebook’. Check out the new logo.
You can also email now on :firstname.lastname@example.org
What do you think? Leave a message as I would love to hear from you.